Why choose Dounans?
Set in the heart of the Lomond and Trossachs National Park, Dounans is SOEC’s busiest and largest Centre. Original home to the popular ROEE programme, the Centre has a wealth of natural resources on its doorstep and is perfect for environmental sessions both on and off-site. Off-site activities such as kayaking or abseiling are a short hop away.
Dounans is an ideal event venue and has played host to events including the Adventure Tri Series and Challenger UK. Dounans also holds accredited Approved Assessment Centre status for BELA courses.
- Dounans Centre provides accommodation for up to 250 persons in 5 red cedarwood chalets. In addition there are numerous classroom and breakout facilities which provide excellent space for reviewing sessions or rehearsals.
- The Centre has an on-site boating pond ideal for learning basic kayaking and canoeing skills before going off-site to nearby Loch Ard.
- The range of activities, both on and off-site, is extensive and SOEC staff are keen to develop an activity programme that suits each group.
- Dounans is SOEC’s first eco-centre and encourages all visitors to learn ways to reduce our impact on the environment.
Out & About
- Based in the tourist village of Aberfoyle, nearby natural landmarks include Loch Katrine and Ben Lomond. The centre sits on the Highland boundary fault and offers excellent opportunities for geology field trips.
- The area is steeped in history: famous Scottish characters William Wallace, Rob Roy Macgregor and Mary Queen of Scots all had a part to play.
- Local amenities include a bank, health centre, a supermarket and post office. A bus service runs to Stirling (19 miles) and Glasgow (27 Miles).